Monday, June 26, 2006

So I'm a nerd......

This evening we had a wicked (rainless) thunderstorm that blew out the power in my neighborhood (although the Bingo hall down the street was unaffected......I guess the city managers have their priorities). After sitting in the dark for a few minutes, I realized it was still light outside and so left for an hour or so. After returning, the cable was still out and so I was unable to catch “Star Trek: Next Generation”. I hate to admit this, but I may be a latent Trekkie. I’ve never been to a convention, and I’ve only ever watched “TNG” and the original series (although a strike against me is the fact that I can name all of the other shows……”Deep Space Nine”, “Voyager”, and “Enterprise”), but self-described Star Trek fans have commented on my extensive knowledge of the show, and I do hold show-based opinions of strength normally reserved for TV-related debates such as “Mary Ann vs. Ginger”, “KITT vs. the A-Team van”, or “Alf: television’s most underrated sit-com?”. For example, in “NG”, there’s just way too much talking about feelings. I really think that if man achieves the dream of interstellar travel, there’ll be better things to do besides use our warp capabilities to enable interpersonal drama. Also, for all the advancements in special effects between the original series and "NG", the technical feel of the latter really isn't that much better than the 60's version.

As a related aside, if you haven't seen the "Twilight Zone" episodes with William Shatner, you're missing out. Also, if you haven't heard, Matt Damon will play Captain Kirk in the new "Star Trek" movie.....

No comments: