Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Arrived in Taipei

After a 13 hour flight from Seattle, I've made it to Taipei. I've only wandered the streets here for a couple of hours so far...my first impressions are how dumpy the place is, plus the sheer number of scooters. They actually seem quite dangerous as you can't always hear them as they zip out of an ally way or around a corner. Here's a sample of the scooter density:





When I arrived at the airport, a nurse took my temperature. Apaprently, if you have a fever, they make you wear a mask when you're here. Many of the locals can be seen wearing these (especially when riding scooters); maybe it's some sort of local fashion. I went in to a drugstore to get some Sudafed (my nose is still uner attack from my Mother's cats), and the medication came with a free mask.


I ate my first street food today, some sort of fried pancake-like thing, similar to some things I've had in India. Not too many shops are open yet.....my understanding is that they open up at night. There are a few open, however, many of which feature a small case of assorted pig (and other animal) organs...I think I'll pass, even with my iron stomach (many of the establishments don't really look too sanitary anyway).


My other food adventure: I ate a bag of Taiwanese Cheetos. Not as good as the American ones. I like to taste the local Cheetos when I'm traveling (the best I ever had where in Mexico....definately the cheesiest).

No comments: