Sunday, December 30, 2007

Finding chili crab

Last night I went out on a search for a food stall sellling chili crab, a local dish, using my Singapore food guide ("Makansutra") as my reference. Unfortuantely, the place I traveled to wasn't there, the victim of a mall remodel. So today I'll be off again in search of another place. An issue with the "Makansutra" is that it's hard to find many of the places listed in the book(directions are poor, or in many cases, non-existant). So I cam back to Little India, and had some Mee Gorang, a local dish invented by Indian muslims consisting of noodles stir-fried in chili sauce with the addition of other ingrediants (eggs, chilis, some veggies, maybe some sort of meat). It was OK, but very cheap (US$2 for a plate). I also got a chance to explore the meat market by the local food court; it was not a pretty sight, with much of the meat not in refrigerators but in boxes, and meat pieces splattered all over. The smell was not exactly pleasant.


Here's a photo from the window of my hotel room:


I'm off to try and find chili crab again. Coming up: reviews of tropical fruit.

No comments: