Wednesday, January 02, 2008

More food adventures

My first meal today was at an Indian restaurant down the street from my hotel. At this place, you pick from a selection of pre-made dishes and they serve them to you on a banana leaf, along with some rice. I could have picked sheep’s stomach or lamb’s liver, but I went with standard mutton and a couple of vegetable dishes. Here’s a photo of my meal:


After I took the photo and had started eating, they came by with a selection of assorted curries to accompany my meal. I love it when you get something extra like that at a restaurant. The food was great…much stronger than your usual Americanized Indian restaurant. That’s exactly what I wanted.

For my second meal, I went and had Hainenese Chicken Rice at Tien Tien Hainenese Chicken Rice, made world famous by Anthony Bourdain. It was extremely delicious, and, like other meals here, extremely cheap (about US$2).


The food court where I had the Chicken Rice:


Finally, I had a plate of Fried Kway Teow, wide noodles mixed with various ingredients (including some sort of clam-like thing; maybe it was cockles or mussels or something along those lines). I’ll have to admit I ate way too much today.

I also bought some cookbooks on Singaporean food, and visited a couple of temples; here are some photos.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.