Thursday, September 21, 2006

A dietary issue you'll probably not have to deal with

I’ve been reading "Pickled, Potted, Canned: How the Art and Science of Food Preserving Changed the World" (Sue Shepard)...it’s been an interesting read, but I think it’s missed some important (or at least interesting) information. For instance, no where does it even mention lutefisk. Another item of note regards something that I learned when researching botulism poisoning (in preparation for my pepperoni-making experiment.....it failed miserably, yielding a funny tasting overly dried sausage stick). Apparently, Alaskan natives eat quite a bit of fermented meat. Fermentation under anaerobic conditions (like in a jar or tupperware container, instead of the traditional hole in the ground) encourages the growth of Clostridium bacteria...these are the suckers responsible for producing the toxin that causes botulism. This practice has led to a number of botulism poisonings, including this one......get this.....from eating fermented beaver paw and tail.


As an aside, I just got "Here come the warm jets" by Brian Eno in the mail (ordered on Amazon, where I pick up about 95% of my music these days)....it’s easily the best album I’ve purchased in quite a while.

No comments: