Saturday, August 26, 2006

Carless pt. 2

I’ve been getting back into riding my bike, a consequence of the two days I had no other transportation (today I went on a 25 mile trek, and last night I went on a ca. 5 mile midnight ride along the bosque……I love riding at night); I’m going to try and bring my camera to document some of the things that I see. Here are some sights of note, all within a few miles of my place….

The Rio Grande is just a few miles away (the bosque is the area along the banks of the river).



No, the river isn’t chocolate, like Willy Wonka’s river. It’s just a bit on the muddy side.

The Atomic Museum moved into the old REI building in Old Town, a temporary home until a new building is constructed somewhere else. They’ve erected a Redstone missile in front of the Museum; it’s been pretty controversial to some of the residents of the area. In my opinion, the t-shirt shops have already ruined Old Town. The missile is there only temporarily, and it’s actually an important part of our history. Besides, this rocket was also used to send the first Americans into space….I found that pretty surprising, given it’s small size.



Finally, this locomotive is being restored and will, in a few years, pull passengers on trips from the “Wheels” museum, if that place is ever actually built.

No comments: