Thursday, July 13, 2006

5 things I think are overated that others may strongly disagree with

1) The band “KISS”. Sure, a few of their songs rocked, but other bands (e.g. AC/DC) rocked even harder. And their last album was horrible. I do have to admit that Gene Simmons is a master marketer, however, and I give him respect for that. I read a funny story today about how Al Franken kicked his ass at racquetball.

2) The art of Georgia O’Keefe. Although she was not without talent, I think much of her fame comes from her legend. Besides, I tire easily of vagina-flowers, and am not a big fan of southwestern art in general (although I won’t claim that all is bad, just much of it). My Georgia O’Keefe connection: she was from Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, the same place my family was from before moving to North Dakota. I have no proof (my great-grandfather being dead for 50 years now), but I’m fairly certain our families would’ve known each other (surprisingly, my family was fairly prominent in the area……don’t ask what happened).

3) Although the flavor is not bad, I can easily pass up watermelon. There are so many other types of melons worthy of our attention, although I’m often ridiculed when, at summer picnics, I try to organize a casaba-seed spitting contest. And those honeydews, they are oh-so succulent and juicy!

4) Breast augmentation surgery just doesn’t cut it in my book. It’s like the difference in artificial vanilla flavoring and real vanilla bean extract. Besides, size is only one of 23 physical breast characteristics recognized by the AMA…the American Man Association. And we won’t even mention what happens when a foreign object is placed in the body. But just because I’m not into fake breasts doesn’t mean I won’t reserve the right to someday get pec implants… I hear they’re necessary if you want to pursue a career as a male exotic dancer.

5) Vodka martinis, in addition to not being martinis (they’re a cocktail….only the cocktail made with gin and vermouth is a martini), are really lacking in any sort of interesting flavor. I’ll stand by my gin any day. There’s a gin called “Bafferts” that tries to appeal to vodka drinkers by being less-intensely flavored; I think that this should be illegal!

No comments: