Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Greetings to my fellow Haplorrhina

Today I took great joy in telling people about the Slow Loris; it looks like I’ve picked up a new obsession. For a brief moment, it looked like it was going to be Lobsters (I’m almost done with “The Secret Life of Lobsters”….just as I suspected, it turns out that Maine is now controlled by a society of hybrid Lobster people…that’s the ‘secret’ part of their life) but now my friends of the genus Nycticebus have taken their place as one of my favorite animals (overall, monkeys are still funnier, but they lose a few notches for not being venomous). And to those who say Bush Babies are cuter: truly the Slow Loris is king of all Strepsirrhini primates! (FYI…the opposite of “Strepsirrhini” is “Haplorrhini”…that refers to us, as well as apes and monkeys. I’ll reveal the meaning of these words, which I think are interesting vocabulary, in a future entry, perhaps when I can’t think of anything clever to say. Also, maybe I can find the correct spelling for these words….I’ve looked a few places only to find a few different variations.)

No comments: