Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Dinner anyone?

I’ve had a plan for a few years to cook a meal using only recipes from my “Liberace Cooks!” cookbook, but haven’t gotten around to it yet. Part of the problem is be that most of the people I’ve had over for dinner recently are younger, and may not find the same cultural significance to the meal that I would place on it.

The cookbook was published in 1970; I would say that many of the recipes are a bit more sophisticated than those found in something like a Betty Crockett cookbook (but still with plenty of “down home cooking”, and a few Polish recipes thrown in for good measure…..Liberace’s mother was Polish). Recipe examples include “Baked Stuffed Mostaccioli”, “Lobster Newburg”, and “Broiled Frankfurters”. Based on my reading of the contents, I would say that the flavors contained within the cookbook are a bit on the mild side for our “modern” tastes.

I bought my copy on eBay for something like $30-35, but I notice that someone has a copy for sale right now for $115, and that copy is missing the dust jacket! Of course mine still does….here’s a picture of the cover.




Notice the “Lover” apron that Liberace is wearing…very ironic in the context of his hidden ravenous appetite for young lads.

No comments: