Sunday, July 23, 2006

A new neighborhood dining selection

There’s a new taco wagon in the neighborhood, and this weekend I had to go and give it a try. Very authentic; the menu was in Spanish and contained several items that I was not familiar with (although tripitas was one of the taco items….I’ve had this while in Mexico…I’ll leave the specific identity of the ingredient to your imagination). I ordered a burrito, but the lady in the wagon didn’t understand what I said; she turned to talk to her coworker and appeared to have a brief conversation about what I wanted. They then presented a plate with samples of two items for me to choose from in order to avoid any language difficulties. I had the “bistec”, which is some sort of marinated beef. Of course, I was asked if I wanted the chile on the side because I’m not Hispanic. Next time this happens, I’m going to reply “Actually, instead of chile, could I get pickled herring on that burrito?” (pickled herring being about the whitest food I can think of). The burrito was good, and only $2.50 for a small but adequate meal.

The taco wagon is located in front of a bar around the corner from me; most nights loud music can be heard even as far away as outside my apartment (about a block away). An ex-neighbor didn’t like the constant “oom-pah-pah” noise, and complained to the city about the bar several times. He was rewarded by someone leaving a pipe bomb on his truck……no one was hurt, but the truck was in the body shop for a few weeks.

Here’s a picture of the taco wagon, in front of the terrorist bar.



And here’s a miscellaneous picture of my back yard.



The TV pick of the weekend was “Grizzly Man”, a documentary about Timothy Treadwell, the guy who lived amongst the bears in Alaska for 13 seasons only to be eaten by one (he didn’t die alone, however……his girlfriend shared the same fate). Treadwell was definitely a nut; on his video footage, he seems completely manic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

O.K. Darren

You need to move. Pipe Bombs!! Yikes

Kerry