Saturday, July 08, 2006

Yet more wagering

Last night I made another bet with Sean, and I’m afraid to say that I lost this one. The bet? Was “Mama’s Family” a 70’s or 80’s TV show? I swore that it was the former, but I didn’t realize that Sean had such extensive knowledge of this show, apparently from being a regular viewer (he also has the superhuman-like power of being able to identify the title and artist of any 80’s hair band song). Our wager…..a polish sausage from the hot dog guy downtown.

I did win another wager, though, with a visiting friend, about whether it was Benjamin Franklin or Thomas Jefferson who wanted to make the Turkey the national bird (of course it was Franklin).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I concede the wager due to overwhelming internet "evidence" that, indeed, BF was adamant about the turkey representing our nation, the fact remains that BF and TJ were contemporaries and could have in fact shared the opinion. Often in politics and in science, ideas are credited to the more vocal advocate rather than the original thought smith. Well played wager though. Bravo

Kara said...

Regarding your final bet with Sean: the correct answer is a 1948 Ferguson.